Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 March 2015

Together Apart

Separated only since the last two years, my best friend and I have been sharing a unique friendship since we were 15 years old.

Today, 20 and studying, we interact via social networks and calls because a plane ticket to New York is worth double my college fees.  But that does not deter us; we are the same, just as we were when she was here with me in Mumbai.

#Together, we went to and from college every day; together we hung around the best eateries in the city; together we walked every known lane on every known evening.  We, as many would call us, have always been a tight bunch by ourselves. And no one, and I mean it, no one could separate us, not even distance.

Staying in New York now, she barely has the time to breathe. Choosing a foreign city over your home city means serious business and she did not go there to while away her time. From college applications, entrance exams, application assignments to interviews, lodging facilities, part-time job look outs etc., she literally has to fight for time to speak to me.

An understanding friend that I've always been, I didn't mind not talking to her on a daily basis; this was her chance at putting her future together and the last thing I wanted to do was get in her way or distract her for that reason. She too, knew well what had to be prioritized at the moment and so we both knew that our long calls and chats had to be put on hold for a while, at least until she had herself settled well there.

We looked out for each other, all the time. And that’s one of the reasons; we still are #together even though oceans apart.

Things are a lot better now, she’s used to the new lifestyle there, she’s made a number of friends and we don’t talk on a daily basis. But that still hasn't changed the relationship we share.

Till date, I know that I can count on her; I can count on her advice, on her counsel and on her company in spirit. Distance may have separated us by location and time but we both stand testimony to a relationship of togetherness while being apart.

Ask me today and I will still say she’s the closest I have. In fact I will even tell you that we have probably grown closer since the separation than when we stayed in the same city.

I do miss her; I miss that bubbly girl that brightened up everyone’s day. And I can’t wait for the day that she comes back home. But I wouldn't rush it. She’s home no matter where she is, because home is where the heart is and her heart is still here with me.

Check out https://housing.com/ #together with your loved one for new options in housing.

No comments:

Post a Comment